5/14/12

Comparisonbook




I deactivated my Facebook for a few days.  I had been spending too much time looking at other peoples lives on Facebook and envying them, which as a byproduct caused me to belittling my life.  On the other side of that, I found myself judging other people's lifestyles, and in doing so, elevating myself.  The grossest of gross.  


Oh that's nice (insert name here), while you were chugging tequila on Cinco de Mayo, I was up at 4am putting on a race for women trapped in the sex slave industry.

or

Shoot.  They look like they are having way more fun than us, and I see they got pregnant.  Buuuh.


In the mornings I would lose myself in other people's posts, and end up missing my time with God, or my time with... well, makeup or breakfast.

I don't hate all that Facebook has to offer.  I do find it quite necessary for sharing photos and pushing my personal agenda (hmmm... still working through that one).

All in all, I am going to try to limit the time I spend on FB, and try to stop the comparisons and the judgement.  Not sure which is going to be harder.  I'm guessing both.

Feel free to judge me for that. :)







1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Joanna and I've been facebook free for 14 months.

    I'm sort of glad to hear someone else say all of this, because it's exactly why I had to quit. I can't tell you how many days I felt sorry for myself because I was a poor grad student and everyone around me was having a wonderful life. I let it steal my contentment and joy for too long. Try it for more than a few days...after you get over the instant reflex to automatically go to facebook when you sit down at your computer, it feels pretty good...freeing. The saddest thing for me was realizing that this had nothing to do with anyone else...there are plenty of people who can "use facebook responsibly", i.e., Wubby...it has everything to do with my own insecurities and sinful nature. But I'm totally willing to admit that!

    ReplyDelete