4/17/11

Adventures of a 25 year old babysitter

I'll admit that 25 is a little too old to be babysitting. I will also admit that I enjoy the extra cash money.  Let's be honest, I've been doing a little too much pro bono photography, so its a nice change.

Last month I babysat for two adorable little girls.  They are darling children who rarely get on my nerves.  A big plus since most children in general rub me the wrong way.  Stupid little sinners.

On Friday, instead of being out with friends (which I don't have anymore), I was at the local Elementary School Fair.  That's right. Ring toss, moon bounce, cake walks, face painting.  You getting where I'm coming from?  It was a babysitter's nightmare. Too bad I had a blast.

First was the ticket line. I don't remember how this stuff works!  So I marched right up the the front of the line, declared myself 'the babysitter' and the kind lady took pity on me and explained how everything worked.  Everything at this hobo-fest cost a 'ticket'.  Cotton candy?  2 tickets.  Face painting?  4 tickets. Biggest rip of the night was certainly the cake walk.

Children walking around a circle to music from before their time in hopes to add some inches to their poor parent's hips with the crap cakes ready to be won.  4 tickets.

My precious wards decided to follow one of their friends around the whole night which made my life much easier because it meant that I got to hang out with their mom.  She was a touch snooty, but the fact that she let the 25 year old babysitter hang out with her made her at the least a good person.  And her kids liked me.  So much so that the little girl asked me to be her babysitter.  Adorable.  But not the way it works.

While doing the sugar shuffle (cake walk) I started to realize that I would have to do this with my own kids one day.  I would not be able to drive away in my non-car seat vehicle at 8:00pm and wash my hands of the night. Shutter.

Half way through the night the small ones chose to go outside to the moon bounce. If only I could have warned the of the fate that awaited them.  10 minutes into bouncing the whirring of the generator cut out.  The generator supplying the inflatable castles/pirate ship with air had been cut, and the moon bounces started to deflate.  And they started to deflate fast.  There were children screaming (because of how fun it was for them) and parents screaming (because of how scared they were that their children might suffocate... or something) and mass hysteria.  I knew that my two little ones were not in the moon bounce at the time, so I decided to be a spectator.  As did Mrs. Semi-Snooty, so I didn't feel as bad. In fact, we started laughing at the other parents.  I was starting to like her even more.

Eventually the night came to end. But not before both of the kids got hopped up on sugar and decided to get their entire faces painted in orange to resemble some member of the big cat family.  I knew their mom was going to kill me. She hasn't asked me back.

:) Just kidding.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha! Every move was through the hallowed halls of Woodbrook Elementary. Remember the night you all did the "sugar shuffle" and took home FOUR cakes??? Thanks for the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little wards? Sugar shuffle? Goodness, I love you.

    ReplyDelete